In order to have a beach fire, you must obtain a beach fire permit. Beach Fire Permits may be obtain online by clicking the below link. A terminal has also been set up at the Truro Beach Office at 36 Shore Road, North Truro.
DO NOT COVER YOUR BEACH FIRE WITH SAND!
BEACH FIRES MUST BE 50 FEET FROM WALKING MAT!
A designated number (x) of Beach Fires are allowed at ONLY the following town beaches, with a fire permit:
- Ballston Beach (6)
- Beach Point (2)
- Coast Guard Beach (4)
- Corn Hill Beach (5)
- Fisher Beach (4)
- Head of the Meadow Beach (6)
- Noons Landing (2) - BEACH UNDER CONSTRUCTION. NO FIRES ALLOWED AT THIS TIME.
Guidelines and Regulations:
- Requests are accepted (3) days in advance.
- Reservations are accepted up to 3:00 pm on the day of.
- Individuals will only be allowed to request, in total, (1) beach fire permits in a week. The one week period will run from Sunday - Saturday.
- Individuals will only be issued (1) beach fire permit per day.
If you do not have computer capabilities, you may visit the Truro Public Library located at 7 Standish Way in North Truro. If you have a computer or tablet and require internet access, WiFi is available at the library and at the Truro Community Center, also located at 7 Standish Way. (1) Computer station has been set up at the Beach Office, located at 36 Shore Rd in North Truro, which you may sign up online between 8:00 am and 3:00 pm.
Only after weather conditions have been reviewed at 3:00 pm will approval for beach fires be granted.
Information on whether or not beach fires will be allowed for the day can be obtained by:
- Calling the beach office after 4:00 pm on the day you had requested a beach fire permit. The phone message will indicate whether or not beach fires will be allowed for that day. The beach office number is (508) 487-6983
- Checking the Fire Permit sign located at each respective beach. Please note that Fire Permits may be allowed on the Bay side and not on the Ocean side and vice versa depending on weather conditions.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT WEATHER CONDITIONS MAY CHANGE AFTER 4:00 PM, WHICH MAY PROHIBIT BEACH FIRES. SIGNS AT EACH RESPECTIVE BEACH WILL INDICATE IF THIS IS THE CASE.
General Rules and Procedures
- Permits are valid between 6:00 pm and 12:00 am on the date they are issued.
- Fires should be more than 50 feet from any beach grass, vegetation, fence, walking mat, building, or permanent structures, and 100 feet from any lifeguard stand.
- Fires are required to be properly extinguished with water in the event of sudden high winds or other adverse weather conditions.
- The applicant to whom the fire permits were issued to must be present, with identification, at all times during the fire.
- Permits are for small cooking fires only, no bonfires. A beach fire must be less than 30 inches in diameter and less than 24 inches high.
- Permits may be revoked for any reason by the Truro Recreation and Beach Department, Truro Police Department, Truro Fire and Rescue Department.
- Problems during or after the fire are the responsibility of the applicant. For emergencies call 911.
- Only clean wood may be used, no chemically treated wood, or wood with paint or nails, nor wood or plastic pallets are authorized. Do not throw metal, plastic, or glass items into the fire.
- Fires should be on the town of Truro’s portion of the beach, not on private beaches or on the property of the National Seashore.
- Never leave beach fires unattended.
- Only extinguish beach fires with water.
- Do not cover the beach fire with sand.
- Glass containers are prohibited on all town beaches.
- Clean up your area completely before leaving the beach. Properly dispose of all trash in the provided trash receptacles. Please place recyclables in proper containers.
- Vehicles may not drive on a Truro beach without a Truro O.R.V. permit. Truro O.R.V. permits entitle the holder to drive on designated Truro beaches. For more information see Truro O.R.V. permit application.
- Camping or sleeping on the beach or in a town beach parking lot is prohibited.
- Violation(s) of any of the above regulations will result in a fine and or arrest.
Useful Items to Bring
- 5 gallon water bucket