The Shellfish Department’s primary function is to provide, protect, and nourish the shellfisheries in the Town of Truro. The main duties include the following:
- Purchasing and planting of shellfish stock for the public shellfish beds (there are no private shellfish beds in the Town of Truro)
- Protection of public shellfish beds from predators including moon snails, green crabs, and starfish
- Patrol of shellfish flats to enforce shellfish regulations (illegal taking of shellfish)
- Water quality testing of shellfish beds with the state Division of Marine Fisheries
Where to Purchase Shellfish Licenses
Shellfishing Licenses can be purchased by calling 508-349-7004,(Extensions 110, 124 or 121) Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm.
Fees for Licenses
- 7 Day-One Week License ($25.00)
- Resident Annual ($15.00)
- Non-Resident Annual ($100.00)
- Senior-Resident 62 and older (free).
- Licenses are valid from November 1st to October 31st.
Anthony Jackett, Harbormaster/Shellfish Constable